I realise that I should have spent a little more time fleshing out the gameplay on paper, maybe even putting numbers into spreadsheets to see how the equations work out. But I didn’t. I’m currently in a game of Hearts of Iron 3 and I’ve realised a few things.
I’ve been without the internet for a little while so I spent a good part of that time refactoring some of the UI code. I quickly identified a distinction between widgets that hold a single other widget, and widgets that contain many other widgets. These are Containers vs Layouts. Obviously a widget that holds one other widget […]
I’m pretty sure I’m now 99% complete with the scrolling boxes. There were a couple of bugs; one which was interesting. Because the box essentially draws its contents onto a render texture, the render texture created is the size of the screen. Then, as the box is scrolled, basically the region of this texture that’s […]
It’s badly coded and needs some fixing up; but it works: I’ve also been working on documentation of the UI system and need to complete that. It took far too long to complete the above because I had to keep going back over code to figure out what it was meant for.
I was reading a very very long AAR that begins with the original Crusader Kings and it got me thinking about emergent gameplay. In short I think of it like things happen in the game that the developer/designer never outright sort to accomplish, but rather it occurred simply because the game is structured in such a way […]
It can never truly be 100% complete; but it’s pretty close. Cellpadding and cellspacing are in place as well as options to draw the borders. Elements are also positioned within their cell. Now that I’ve got some way to position elements I can start working on text boxes; then the very tricky scrollbars. I haven’t […]