These last couple of days I’ve spent positioning and timing the blurts a little better, there’s still some work that needs to be done though. I’ve completed all of the dynamic text except for the officer names, which I’ll do once they have names, for now they don’t even exist.
I’ve added the blinking lights that change based on the alert state of the ship as well. These makes things look a lot more interesting and dynamic.
There’s still a lot to do. Next up:
Add some graphics to the main viewer
Position the blurts when there are multiple at once
Add the officers names to the blurts
Add a button that will show a “chat history” with all the previous blurts and probably previous in-game text
Add some music
Add some sounds effects, like a klaxon for the red alert state and a sonar ping for the green state
I’ve got an extremely short episode written that contains what I think is most of the elements to the game. Right now I’ve got a sort of playable thing happening except for variable text. There are variable options and blurts said by your bridge crew as well as random ones, but the text displayed to the player isn’t variable yet.
This past week I’ve worked some more on the authoring tool. I think it’s now in a state where it’s fairly usable. It probably needs a lot of work if it was ever to be a product, but right now I’m just considering it like a modding tool. The modding tools I’m used to were all buggy (like the Battlefield 2 map editor), so I don’t see it as a big deal for now.
I’ve also implemented an Animation system in the UI.
I worked some more on the Authoring Tool. Hopefully the interface is easy to use and doesn’t get in the way too much. Once I really start using it, I might find some annoyances in it that I’ll want to fix.