I’ve taken a few nights off coding to start thinking about game design for the fleet battles. I want to just start with probably a fleshed out game revolving around just the fleet battles. There probably won’t be too much “game” in this game as fleet battles are not determined much by the player, but […]
I’ve done a bit of refactoring of my UI code and brought it down a few hundred lines of code. I’ve also started noting the performance. Right now, a window with a table and a bit of text and another window with just text gets me around 500-550 fps. This is from a base of […]
I realise that I should have spent a little more time fleshing out the gameplay on paper, maybe even putting numbers into spreadsheets to see how the equations work out. But I didn’t. I’m currently in a game of Hearts of Iron 3 and I’ve realised a few things.
I’ve been without the internet for a little while so I spent a good part of that time refactoring some of the UI code. I quickly identified a distinction between widgets that hold a single other widget, and widgets that contain many other widgets. These are Containers vs Layouts. Obviously a widget that holds one other widget […]
I’m pretty sure I’m now 99% complete with the scrolling boxes. There were a couple of bugs; one which was interesting. Because the box essentially draws its contents onto a render texture, the render texture created is the size of the screen. Then, as the box is scrolled, basically the region of this texture that’s […]
It’s badly coded and needs some fixing up; but it works: I’ve also been working on documentation of the UI system and need to complete that. It took far too long to complete the above because I had to keep going back over code to figure out what it was meant for.
I was reading a very very long AAR that begins with the original Crusader Kings and it got me thinking about emergent gameplay. In short I think of it like things happen in the game that the developer/designer never outright sort to accomplish, but rather it occurred simply because the game is structured in such a way […]
It can never truly be 100% complete; but it’s pretty close. Cellpadding and cellspacing are in place as well as options to draw the borders. Elements are also positioned within their cell. Now that I’ve got some way to position elements I can start working on text boxes; then the very tricky scrollbars. I haven’t […]
I spent the bulk of my available time this weekend writing the code for the Table Layout. It ended up quite a bit different from the design; chiefly because I found there was no need for an abstract row. The TableLayout class itself handles all the row…ing. I just need to add some things like […]
I’m now about 60% done on the UI system code. I’m also only about 80% complete with the design though (I was tired of design and needed to code). I have to admit that designing everything first was something I haven’t done before and it helped immensely. I don’t know why I never did it […]