Here’s a short video of the player approaching a moon when the power goes out. The effects here took me quite a while to get just right, which makes the placeholder art even worse 🙁
I have really been neglecting this blog. But I haven’t been neglecting the game.
I’ve been progressing with the re-writing of episodes, starting with the space probe that approaches your ship. This has led to a whole bunch of sound effects and soundscapes that I’ve had to put together.
One of the things I wanted to have in The Last Boundary was nebula. They look awesome and space doesn’t look like space without them, instead it just looks like a few scattered white pixels. But because the game is supposed to be pixel-artish I had to find a way to make my noise library make pixelly images.
Here are some examples:
The single-colour examples above use 8 different colours, while the others are using 16 colours. In this article I’ll show you how I created pixelly looking nebula for The Last Boundary.
I’ve been hard at work learning how to do pixel-art. I present you with my new “ship crashing into a sun” artwork:
This is replacing the old artwork here.
I think it’s a big difference. I know that the pixel-art probably isn’t very good, but I’m proud of it. I’m a little concerned about the amount of time it took, because that means it’s going to be a long time to get enough content together to actually release a game.
From now on, I don’t think I’ll share any new artwork, so as to leave some stuff as a surprise.
I’ve now started work on some of the artwork. I’m not very good, and I imagine that this game will be a pretty big learning curve. Anyway, here it is, the second peice of art I’ve ever made:
Based on the feedback I recieved from the few people who took the time to playtest, I’ve made some changes.
These last couple days I’ve started work on the star map. The idea is that a random number of stars, their planets, and the planets moons are generated. The numbers of star systems is somewhere between 15 and 20, maybe more or less, I’ll tweak it later. These are then arranged into “steps” according to how many minimum jumps I want the player to take to get from the current system to the destination system.
Lately I’ve been working on the events for the demo-build. Not much to say about it really. I’ve written I think maybe 2/3 of the events themselves, but will still need to create a bit of artwork to go with it. In addition there’s some additional audio to create, and I think I need to revisit some past audio as well.
Finally, I think there’s some new graphical effects that I can easily do for the demo-build that will go really well in one of the events.
I’ve now implemented the sound a lot better, events can play sound effects. There’s also a couple of different background music tracks depending on the status of the ship.
I’ve added a main menu and title screen.